Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Time Warp


I don't know where this whole month went. An entire 4 weeks, lost forever. We have been so busy. Between the kid's school stuff, work, trying to clean the house, various other events.... It's really been a whirlwind. We unplugged last weekend and went to Virginia to visit my cousin. Our kids are the same age and we just love them. We went to Jamestown and Williamsburg, we played cards and had an at-home Chopped challenge. We just spent time together, away from home, away from the computer and just relaxed and enjoyed each other. It was so awesome. We needed it for sure.

We got home on Monday night and tried the best we could to get everything ready for the week. It was finally time for bed. I told the kids they could read before they went to bed and my 7 year old climbed into my bed with her book. "No, get in your bed." "I want to be in yours tonight." "No!" She threw down her book and stormed into her room and sobbed. She was tired, she gets emotional and terribly grumpy when she is tired.

I went into her room and laid down next to her and she let me have it. She unloaded on all the injustices in her life. "It's not fair, mama. I want to sleep you with but you don't want to be with me and you and dad always get to stay up until whenever you want and we NEVER do. That is not fair. You always tell us what to do and school always tells us what to do and we don't ever get to do what we want to do." *Sob*Sob*Sob* Then she curled up into my arms and said, "Plus, everyone always tells me I'm small and I don't want to be small. I want to be big. I'm NOT small." *Sob*Sob*Sob* All of the things that were bothering her were just pouring out. I get it. She thinks that the grass is greener and that when she grows up she will be able to just do whatever she wants. That's the irony, when you finally have the autonomy to do whatever you want, you don't really get to because you have to do all these things you don't want to do. Like work, and laundry, and shushing hysterical children. The being small thing really bothers her. She's the smallest kid in her class. She has normal growth but her parents are little people. She is really disturbed by it. I always try to tell her that I was the same way and that great things come in small packages but that doesn't seem to help. I didn't say anything this time. I just listened and let her cry until finally she fell asleep. Oh man, it's hard being a kid.

I watched her sleep for a while. She is so cute when she sleeps. Both of the kids are adorable when they are sleeping. They remind me of baby animals. My 7 year old reminds me of a baby lion
                       
and my 9 year old reminds me of a kitty cat.
                       

Does that sound weird? They just remind me of little baby animals. They just kind of look like them. I can't explain it. I got up and went to check on my 9 year old. I kissed her little button nose and then went straight to bed. I was so tired. My 7 year old did climb into our bed in the middle of the night. She snuggled in and was petting my head. haha. She's my little sleepwalking lion cub. I love these kiddos.


No comments:

Post a Comment