Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Fun at the Ren Faire


                                  
This past weekend we went to the Renaissance Fair. We had been planning the trip for a few months. We went to one 7 years ago when we lived in Indiana and were amazed at how funny and nerdy it was. We are kind of nerdy and the kids are at a good age to go so we planned a trip to Charlotte to the Ren Fair. It was supposed to be just us but when we were taking about it at family dinner my dad invited himself and then my 22 year old sister invited herself so it turned into a group event. We decided that if we were going to go - we were going to be nerdy so we all planned to dress up. I was in charge of the costumes. So funny. We left Saturday morning, my kids in their Halloween costumes, my husband and dad dressed like peasants, I was in a broomstick skirt and corset and my sister was a pirate wench. We were like a nerd caravan. Who cares? We were going to be 3 hours away - we wouldn't know anyone there.

I was so excited when we got there. It was amazing. The kids were in awe. It was a whole village in the middle of no where. Everywhere we turned, something magical was happening. There was a fairy, sitting on a rock, playing a wooden flute. There were fiddlers and acrobats and jugglers. There were people dressed up like kings and queens eating turkey legs. They had all kinds of rides and shows. We saw belly dancers and hypnotists. We saw jousting. We were entertained.

We sat down for a sword swallowing show. Oh my goodness. That was the most disgusting thing I have ever saw. It grossed me out. At the end this man swallowed a long balloon. I was completely horrified. The kids loved it. My sister turned to me and said, "He probably writes tips for Cosmo magazine."  She's so funny and inappropriate.

What do you know? We did run into friends of ours. So our dorkiness did not go unnoticed. Of course. We stayed until it closed and we had to walk through the workers to leave and they sang a song to us and we were like geek celebrities. We vowed to come again next year.

I booked us a hotel room since we were so far from home and when we checked in, they handed us the keys. We were on the top floor, 11 stories up. Uggh - I am so afraid of heights. Here was the view from the top:
                  
Holy hell. Of course when we got to the top my 7 year old wanted to stand at the railing and look down. I was walking against the wall like the Pink Panther. "Get away from there." She laughed at me. I hated it. We did have a beautiful view though. We looked out at all the beautiful foliage. It was picturesque.

We had drinks, got dinner and relaxed;  it was so nice. The next day we took the kids swimming in the hotel pool. Our eyes bled because the there was so much chlorine in the air. Then we had lunch and spent the afternoon playing games at Dave and Busters. It was such a fun time. Oh - but all good things come to an end. I wish weekends away could last forever.

We love weekend trips and will keep busy planning the next one. There is Comicon in December, but I think we might go for something a little less nerdy. Maybe next year, that gives me enough time to find a sexy Spiderman costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment