Monday, November 4, 2013

Sometimes I'm Annoyed

                  
I need to vent. Last week, I was very annoyed. I wasn't annoyed by everything. Just people in the service industry that I happened to come in contact with. Let me tell you about some of these people.

There is a cashier at the Dollar Tree that hates me. Truly. I do not understand why. I frequent the Dollar Store on a weekly basis and he has worked there for 2 years and he is HATEFUL to me. He shoots daggers at me and looks at me with disgust whenever I go in there. So much so that I avoid going in there when he works. He always works day shift during the week. Whenever I go to check out he doesn't say "hello" or "have a nice day" or anything. He doesn't smile. I used to think that it's just the way he is. That he is grumpy and mean to everyone. Until one day I was waiting in his line and there was a lady in front of me. He smiled at her "How are you today?" He rung her up, chatted with her and then waved to her, "Have a nice day." Then he turned to the next customer and when he saw it was me his smile faded and he began to ring up my things in his usual mean way. "That will be $13.42." Then he reluctantly handed me my bag and was silent. I have never been mean to the Dollar Store man, I don't understand. I am very annoyed by it. Sometimes he won't be there for a period of time and I will get excited and think he got a new job but then, there he is - scowling at me from behind the register. I had to see him this week and it made me mad. One day, I am going to confront him. Not this week. Now, the guy at Moe's - that's a different story.

Last Wednesday was a long day for me. A 13 hour day. I was on my way home at 8 pm and I called my husband who had not made dinner. I was tired, I hadn't eaten anything since 9 am, I was in a horribly uncomfortable pant suit, I was having this horrible lower back pain and was just all around feeling horrible. I stopped at Moe's for dinner on my way home and I was just exhausted. I dragged myself into Moe's and no one was in there. I was so glad. I just wanted to get my food and get out. I go up to the counter and there is a new guy I didn't know. "Welcome to Moes, what can I get you?" "Can I get an earmuff?" He grinned and said, "We're all out of those." Oh, a smart alec. I was not in the mood to play his games. "Please, just make me the food." He asked if I wanted rice. "Yes, just a little." He smiled, "You mean a lot?" My blood began to boil. "No, a little." "What?" Then he was trying to get to me look him in the eye for some reason. I don't know why but I was extremely annoyed. I didn't want to gaze in his eyes or be jovial. I was so tired that I was pretty sure I was melting into the floor. This guy stopped making my food and was like, "What's wrong?" Oh.my.God. You are not Doctor Phil, just make my food. I managed to utter, "I am hungry and I had a long day." Then he had the nerve to say, "Are you depressed or something?" What the hell? I lost my mind. These were my exact words to him, "I am NOT depressed. I am EXHAUSTED, I haven't eaten in 11 hours. I want you to stop playing games with me and make me food. I am going to go home and put on my pajamas and eat this food in my bed like a fat slob. I will probably get corn salsa on my sheets but I am so tired that I won't even clean it off and I will sleep on my corn salsa sheets. I am going to give you money, just please give me my food and don't talk." I said all of that. Out loud. His eyes were really big and he looked at me like I was crazy. "You want everything on it?" I nodded. Then I gave him money and he gave me the food.

I hobbled to my car and a sense of shame swept over me. I wished I hadn't let my crazy out like that in public but he kind of deserved it. I went home and kissed my babies and did eat my food in bed, in my pajamas. I didn't feel ashamed of that at all. I enjoyed it. Every last bite. Corn salsa sheets and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment