Saturday, October 4, 2014

Clapping Erasers

                    

There was family night at the elementary school this week and they had a little dance afterwards where the 1st graders jump around and listen to that stupid "Happy" song. My oldest daughter was dragged along which she was unhappy about because she didn't want to be around the little kids.

 That night I asked if any other 5th graders were there, "Yes, J was there." J is this cute little Mexican boy that wears glasses and have a mohawk. He is my daughter's boyfriend. How do I know this? He wrote her a note that said, "Will you be my girl friend?" and she said "Yes." So I asked, "Did you guys talk to each other?" She said, "No, he is too shy to talk to me so we just waved to each other." My 8 year old chimed in, "Sounds like you're stuck in the friend zone." I was laughing my butt off. She is too much. I reminisced, "I had a little boy friend in 5th grade. We clapped erasers together once behind the school," She looked confused. "You did WHAT?!?"

 I was amused at her response. She always makes me fee old. So I had to explain it to her. "Back in the olden days we had these things called chalk boards....." I explained to her about clapping erasers. They would send kids out, behind the school ALONE to clap erasers. It would be so easy to just pick off kids if you were a child predator. Just hide out in the woods and then like clockwork, at 2 pm - kids would just show up unsupervised, clapping erasers. They would never see you coming. What was going on back then? I remember getting chalk dust up my nose and down my throat. That can't be healthy. I'm glad that my kids don't have to clap erasers.

We chatted about eraser clapping and then we went to bed. That didn't last long. I was awoken at 2 am by one of my children in the bathroom, calling out to me for toilet paper. Why don't they check for toilet paper before they use the bathroom? That is annoying. Afterwards, they both were up and wanted to talk to me. NO. GO TO SLEEP. They wanted to pile into bed with us and I told them they could sleep on the floor. My husband was snoring so no one could get back to sleep. His snoring is horrible. It was so hard to get back to sleep. Finally my 8 year old flipped out and screamed, "DAD!!! STOP SNORING. YOU SOUND LIKE A DONKEY GIVING BIRTH!" He startled, "I'm not snoring." Then he went right back sleep and resumed his snoring. Just another night in my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment