Tuesday, July 1, 2014

First Date

   

This weekend my husband and I went to dinner to celebrate our anniversary without the kids. We went to this French restaurant that I love. It's a little on the pricey side, but we rarely go out so it was a nice treat. I was so tired and wished it was socially acceptable to wear pajamas out in public, but I got dressed and put on make up and out the door we went.

Not long after we were seated my husband started talking about our will and getting more life insurance. I was like, "Really?" Let's forget about real life for a while and pretend we have no responsibilities. We ordered a cheese platter and sipped our drinks. A man was seated in the table behind us. Kind of chunky guy, beard, maybe mid 20's. He was tapping his foot and looking around. Then a pretty blond walked in. Her dress was skin tight and barely covered her girl parts and was so low cut her boobs were just out in the universe. She walked over to the table were the man was sitting and they shook hands. "Nice to meet you." I could tell by the look on the blond's face that she was disappointed. I leaned into my husband and whispered, "The people behind us are on a first date. This could get interesting." He shook his head, "You are so nosy. You are going to be an old lady one day who is in everyone's business." I shrugged my shoulders. "I just like to people watch." I do, I am fascinated by other people. Besides, I know what we are going to talk about. It's always the same thing. I am going to hear about any new video games or movies that are coming out. I will hear about the Roman Republic because my husband is obsessed with ancient Rome. I will discuss the kids in some capacity and then we will both complain about work. It's what we do. So this first date thing gave us some new material. I watched the girl who was sitting across from me and she looked so uninterested and ready to go. I felt bad for the guy because it must have been so hard to look at her face as her boobs popped out of her dress and rested on the table. They were ordering all kinds of drinks and appetizers and I knew it was going to be expensive. Our bill was over $100 and we didn't order any alcohol so I know this guy was spending $200 at least on this lady who obviously was not into him AT ALL. He is young, probably has a lot of student loan debt and 2 room mates.

Then I thought that he was stupid. Why would you take some girl to an expensive restaurant for a first date? To impress her? If I was a dude, the first date would be coffee at Starbucks. The second date, picnic on the beach, third date at the Olive Garden. I would be reserving the $100 dinners to someone that would be sticking around. Now the argument might be that a woman would scoff at the idea of the Olive Garden. If that is the case - run away from her quickly. Because if a lady needs to eat only at expensive restaurants and needs you to spend a lot of money on her - she is a high maintenance chick. She's probably is going to not only want expensive dinners, but expensive gifts and when you get married she is going to need you to get a better job so she can buy Chanel sunglasses and Jimmy Choos and no matter what you do, it will never be good enough. I don't care how good looking she is. Even that will loose it's appeal over time. If I was a man, I would look for a pretty woman who is low maintenance. Who can keep a house and has a strong back to assist with house hold projects. A lady who knows how to use tools and doesn't complain a lot. A woman who is nice and friendly but is strong and works hard. Now, I am not a man and I have literally no dating experience so I am not one to give any advice and I have no credentials in this area. I'm just sayin.'

After our lovely dinner we walked hand in hand back to the car and reminisced about days gone by. When we got home we decided to watch a movie together. We chose to watch a show about the Chernobyl disaster. You know, to lighten to the mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment