Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Name Change

   

My 10 year old came up to me the other day, out of no where and said, "I want to change my name to Carmen." Ummm....okay. I laughed and said, "It's a pretty name. Are you trying to go 100% Puerto Rican?" She said, "No. I just like that name." I tried to figure out why she wants to change her name. She is trying to assert her independence and figure out her place in this world and forming her identity. I asked her why she wanted to change her name all of a sudden. She shrugged, "People never say my name right and it's hard to spell." Whatever. "When you are an adult and you want to change your name, you can. But, I am not calling you Carmen. That is not your name."

Do you know what her response was? "Why do you hate Puerto Ricans?" I had to laugh out loud. I just married a Puerto Rican because I hate them so much, you know. My kids are Puerto Rican but we have no cultural traditions at all. I used to try to get my husband to tell my kids about being Puerto Rican and he is not helpful at all. He just shrugs. He'll say things like, "They go to pride parades and hang Puerto Rican flags in their living rooms." He doesn't speak a lick of Spanish. I know more Spanish than he does because I used to work with Mexicans. We live away from his family, so they aren't around Puerto Ricans. I try. I did buy them this book:

                         
The author's name is Carmen. haha. The only things my kids know about Puerto Ricans are the following:
1. They like to eat rice A LOT. 2. They use a lot of Sazon in their food. 3. They drink Malta. If you have never tried malta, just open a can of green beans, drain out the water and then drink it. Malta = green bean water. 4. They really like the song Suavamente. That's about it. My mother in law is moving to our city this week and I'm hoping she will teach them a little Spanish and about Puerto Rican culture. We fail.

Anyway, back to the name change. We went back and forth. She was so mad. "I can change my name if I want." I shook my head, "I am not going to start calling you Carmen. I like your name. I picked it." She protested some more. Finally, I said, "Look - I'll call you Carmen but only if you agree to call me Linda." She pouted, "Why would I call you Linda? You're mom." "Yes, I WAS mom, but now I want to be called Linda." She cried, "I am not calling you Linda. That's not your name." I proved my point. "See? Now do you understand why I don't want to call you Carmen?" She gave me a dirty look. "You're the worst!" I am the worst. I'm not even ashamed of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment